While earning my degree from the College of Design at NC State I began studying and promoting the work of other creative people as co-editor of The Student Publication. When funding was needed, I produced a brochure in an appeal to Edgar Kaufmann Jr. whose subsequent investment underwrote Volume 25, returning that storied publication to financial solvency.
The success of that effort was deeply imprinted and whet my appetite for story telling; for promoting the value of design and the work of designers.
After graduating I practiced for more than 30 years with some of the best firms in America. From the early days of my career I have done everything I can to interact with clients. My greatest strengths have always been in winning new work and encouraging and coaching the best efforts from my colleagues and collaborators.
Creativity is our ultimate purpose and enthusiasm is the engine that powers it. I study human capability, and how people interact with each other and work together, applying wisdom gained from a broad range of sources. I share my insight regularly on my blog, in presentations and workshops in a diverse range of forums.
This consulting practice grew from a sabbatical I took from architectural practice in 2006 to start KC Ramsay Photography, a ‘beta site’ for an new set of lessons I learned about marketing creative services. It also provided first hand experience with the challenges that face small businesses and sole proprietors who alone we can rarely recognize and overcome the resistance that stops so many creative people.
KC Ramsay Consulting, Raleigh NC 2009-present
KC Ramsay Photography, Raleigh NC 2006-present
Flad Architects, Raleigh NC 1998-2006
- Principal and Regional Manager
- O’Brien Atkins Associates, Research Triangle Park NC
- Clearscapes, Raleigh NC;
- HDR Architecture, Alexandria VA
KC provides critical insight into the unique challenges of business growth and personal and financial reward for architects and other design professionals, building on over thirty years of professional experience. He is able to assess situations quickly, identify untapped potential and unrecognized or unacknowledged obstacles in guiding individuals and firms through the process of analysis and operational change. A skilled communicator, he finds common ground with his clients quickly and conveys complex and difficult concepts and strategies through the use of engaging storytelling and clear examples.
- Secured the commission to plan and design the $200 million expansion of the UNC-CH Dental School. Led a team that successfully outpaced competition from over 30 national firms, including several with more relevant experience.
- Won a contract extension for a $20 million research building for the NCSU College of Veterinary Medicine. Overcame procedural objections from administrators by marshaling support from the CVM Dean and senior administrators. Managed the project through completion and post occupancy evaluation.
- As Principal in Charge secured and led the design effort for the $20 million Bunting-Blaustein Cancer research building at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Formed an alliance with a competing firm based on past relationships to leverage the strategic advantages of each firm to win and execute the project.
- Led the North Carolina office of Flad Architects from a satellite project office with 6 employees to a self supporting regional office of 27. Developed a national and regional communications strategy.
- Produced annual business and marketing plans consistent with the firms overall goals. Was responsible for departmental goals, strategies, and tactics and for meeting performance targets.
- Led the effort to evaluate the effectiveness of an existing client feedback program, made recommendations for improvement, and led a pilot test of a new, improved system which was then implemented nationwide.
- Organizes and leads project presentations and interviews with corporate and institutional selection panels, clients, and project building committees using complex visual aids like “fly through” videos, and concept models to reach a diverse audience.
- Leads facilities planning and programming workshops for large, multi-user, technical facilities for private and public sector groups.
- Numerous technical presentations to national meetings including The Society for College and University Planning, the American Institute of Architects and Tradeline Research Facilities conferences.
Continuing hands-on experience with “new media;” online tools and social networking platforms including website development, blogging, and the three critical interactive platforms: Linked-In, Twitter and Facebook.
Has extensive experience with the programming, planning and design of advanced technology facilities including:
- Medical Research
- Pharmacy Education
- Veterinary Medical Education
- cGMP Pharmaceutical and Biotech Manufacturing
North Carolina State University, Raleigh NC
- Bachelor of Environmental Design in Architecture – With Honors
- Editor – The Student Publication of the School of Design: Vol. 25
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill – Course work in Fine Arts